Wednesday 17 April 2013

Getting sentimental....

Well, I'm in the single digits of my countdown to Canada.  Only 3 days until I fly out of Tanzania and then three more until I'm home to London.  Exciting!  

I've finished with the clinic trips (I'll not miss that horrible road!) but I'll miss the people there.  The lab technician nearly launched herself across the table to thank me when I said she could have the lab coat that was there!  I brought them muffins which they seemed to enjoy - I'm not sure they would have told me other wise!

This morning the samples were picked up - I sure can spend $12000 in a hurry! Ouch!  It seemed too easy for some reason...I hope everything goes well.  And other than going in tomorrow to do a few things and the next day, I'm essentially done at the lab.  

Just packing to do!  I'm not sure how I accumulated so much stuff!

As for my time here in Mwanza, I've enjoyed it for the most part but I'm glad to be returning home.  I'm Africa-tired - and only those that have lived down here will understand - and I'm not being condescending.  I can't imagine those who spend longer periods down here; I give them the utmost credit. 

While in Zanzibar on the weekend with Kate and Susan, we sat around one night and talked about all the things we WOULDN'T miss about living here.  The list was long but I won't go into them here - they might sound petty and selfish but they are reality down here.

Instead I wanted to say what I WILL miss.
  • The weather (I know this will shock people) and its consistency.
    • I love not having to think about what to wear in the morning.
  • Hearing the pounding rain and being safely inside.  It's an amazing sound!
  • The landscape - it's so different from anything I've ever seen. I'll be in palm tree withdrawal for a while. 
  • The fresh produce - bananas, mangos and pineapple will never be the same.
  • The cheapness and proximity of said produce.
  • The sky.  Everyday it just takes my breath away.  The clouds, the blueness, the speed at which the rain comes and then goes. 
  • The birds.  Their sheer number and variety astound me as do their colours.
  • The mongoose families that wander our property. Cute!
  • The inexpensiveness of internet and data plans, albeit unreliable providers.
  • Having someone do my laundry and clean my house.  I <3 Grace!
  • Freddy - our house boy/guard/daily greeter.  His smile is the BEST!
  • The Tanzanians I got to meet and know:
    • Janeth - spent every day at clinic with me mostly happily. :-)
    • Clinic people - once they warmed up to me and I to them, it was great.
    • NIMR people - same as above. 
      • I'll miss George and his larger than life personality and smile to match.  
      • Ema, who works in the lab, also has the best smile and nicest personality. 
      • Abel - our NIMR driver.  Such a charmer with the best laugh!
    • Mama Mary - our land lady. Soooo nice and tried to do everything for us!
    • APYN - Ana and Esther are incredible women.  Props to them!
    • Tito - one of the nicest people I've met down here and my taxi driver from work.
    • Ramsen and Moody - two other trustworthy taxi drivers.
    • Mr. Zagalu - another taxi driver and store owner. Sweet man!
    • I'm sure there are others I've missed. 
  • Cheap alcohol and the ability to buy it anywhere.  
  • I'll miss all my new mzungu friends!  Susan and Kate, my roomies, Emily and Sarah and her dog, Tito.  I met other people down here as well but didn't spend as much time with them.  Friends for life I hope.  TAB!
Here are some photos of the scenery and my new friends.  I don't think this will be the last blog post for here as I didn't do the Serengeti trip, Dubai trip or Zanzibar trip but I will have to do those back in Canada. 


My favourite rock formation.  Not sure why, just is. 

More rocks...with a house in them.

Kopjes - rock formations

Cool cloud formation

Hole in the sky
Simply stunning.



Sunset view from Isamilo Lodge. 













Dinner at Diners

Goofing at Gold Crest

Dinner at Gold Crest

After dinner at Isamilo Lodge
That's all for now. Other photos aren't uploaded yet or edited.  

Kwa heri,
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment