Tuesday 22 January 2013

Day 2 - Amsterdam

Hallo!

I had a 13 hour lay over in Amsterdam and the plan was to go into the city and do some sightseeing.  Since I didn't sleep too well on the plane I was very tired and it was also pretty cold in Amsterdam that day.  Not having worn or packed my winter coat, I decided against the trip into town.  Besides, I've got a couple of days there on the way home.  

So let's find some wifi and keep connected, right?  Well, it's only 1hr FREE at the airport!  Totally sucked.  So I decided to try and catch some sleep.  I heard you could buy a lounge pass so I went to the lounge that did so....30Euro for max 3hrs and no where to lay down.  Crap.  So I found a lounger and napped for an hour or so.  Once I woke, I was starving so I went to try and find some Dutch cuisine.  

I checked out the Grand Cafe Amsterdam for a ham and cheese omelette.  It was delicious!
Yummy yummy cheeeese!

I then went in search of internet and paid for some time.  No way I was surviving without it!  Then I realised that my power converter/plus adaptor was conveniently stowed away in my checked bags - which i wouldn't see again until Mwanza.  Boo!! 

By this time, the lack of sleep was really getting to me and I needed to lay down.  On my wanderings, I'd seen a hotel in the airport that you could get for 4hrs.  So I checked in there for 4hrs and had a wonderful nap and shower.  Much better than the lounge!

My cute little room. 
The hotel Mercure


Super Cute! And as big as some full hotel rooms in Germany!
 
So after my refreshing nap and shower, I headed off for some more exploring around the airport.  It was pretty boring.  One can only look at so many bottles of perfume and alcohol.  I decided to get something to eat since the flight from TO to Amsterdam didn't have dinner until quite late and I was hungry. I needed to try these fries everyone talks about!  I even put the mayo on it - and liked it!

My burger, fries, salad and Heineken.  Yummy!

After this is was time to wander to the gate, with a stop to buy some stroopwafels for dessert (and to share with Megan).  At the gate, there was a whole platoon of Dutch soldiers heading to Burundi for some training - they filled the rear of the plane.  

This flight was unremarkable but I'll talk about it next post.  I've got some good pictures of the sunrise from the plane.  


Tot ziens Amsterdam! Until April!







No comments:

Post a Comment