Thursday 24 January 2013

Day 3 - Into Africa - Part 1

After a long and boring day at the Schiphol (I'll never spell that without looking it up!), we finally boarded flight KQ117 Kenya Airlines "The Pride of Africa" at 8:40pm to Nairobi, Kenya.  

Boarding was a breeze and we were on time.  My seat mate this time was much calmer than the drunk couple!  He was very very tall though and I'm not sure how comfortable he was on the flight.  Even I could have used more leg room!



The second plane of the trip

I discovered in short order that my headphone jack didn't work - always my luck -  but I plugged into my iPod and promptly passed out.  I woke in time for dinner - ~10:30pm.  I opted for the vegetarian option.  It was that or 'fish'.  I'm up for trying new things lately but not a random airline fish dish!  The lemon dessert was the best part of the dinner - you will sense a theme here!  Valeria, I was looking at the map while we were flying and we flew down the length of Italy....was very cool!


I managed to doze on and off for the next 6hrs - hard to believe that is possible - until I woke up to this site.  Amazing....just amazing.....the sunrise over Africa.  And I'm not sure what mountain that is but there were a whole bunch of smaller mountains peaking up through the clouds.  So amazing to see...especially since the only mountains I've ever seen have snow on them.







We arrived into Nairobi on time and to the sunrise still continuing....



Taxiing into airport.

So beautiful.
Once in the airport, it hit home that I wasn't in Kansas anymore...and I felt very overwhelmed. I sat in the same seat for 3hrs until my next flight came.  Thank heavens for wifi and friends who can talk you down off a ledge!  

The flight to Kilimanjaro and then to Mwanza in Part 2.  

The next plane. Turboprop.  And just all the random people hanging out on the jetway - no big.  







1 comment:

  1. Miss you tons and hope you're surviving!! Love talking on BBM and FB chat, makes me feel like you're close by. :) SB

    ReplyDelete